Images taken during the spacecraft’s approach — which brought New Horizons to within just 3,500 kilometers of Ultima at 12:33 a.m. EST — revealed that the Kuiper Belt object may have a shape similar to a bowling pin, spinning end over end, with 32 by 16 kilometers. Another possibility is Ultima could be two objects orbiting each other. Flyby data have already solved one of Ultima’s mysteries, showing that the Kuiper Belt object is spinning like a propeller with the axis pointing approximately toward New Horizons. This explains why, in earlier images taken before Ultima was resolved, its brightness didn’t appear to vary as it rotated.
Nedräkning till 20 juli 21:17:40
- Pressmeddelande IAU: Sverige får en planet att döpa 13 juni, 2019
- Solsystemets himlakroppar: Uranus 8 maj, 2019
- Solsystemets himlakroppar: Neptunus 8 maj, 2019
- Solsystemets himlakroppar: Haumea 12 mars, 2019
- Solsystemets himlakroppar: Pluto 12 mars, 2019